|View from the l'Esplanade at Domme|
12" x 16", coloured pencils on Arches HP
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
I love finding out about places to draw and paint. I've always used maps to try and find out where the good places might be - and now use Streetview to check out my hunches! I've also listened a lot to what other people have had to say about their favourite places to paint and why they liked them. Then when I started to get interested in specific artists, I've also read about where they went, found the images and then tracked down and found the places where those artists sat when painting views which are now well known to us.
See below for the start of an inventory - by country - of artists' favourite places to paint.
On this blog, from a personal perspective, I'm focusing on the places which famous artists liked to paint and the places which I've very much enjoyed painting.
However, I also want to invite contributions from current landscape artists.
...this post is an invitation to say a bit about what's your favourite place to paint.HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED: You are invited to contribute to the project and write a blog post and tell us about where is your favourite place to paint - and why. If you'd like to share, feel free to say what's your favourite place to paint (and you don't have to stop at just one!) You need to:
Even better if you've done a blog post about it I'd like to highlight this on this blog.
I'm also going to try and develop an inventory of 'good places to paint' in the Location Page (see top - underneath the title). A sort of reference site for if you're going somewhere new and want to know good places to paint.
What's your favourite place to paint?
- EITHER send me a link to a blog post in which you have written about your favourite place to paint. This should say why you find it stimulating.
- OR contact me (see column on right) about doing a guest post for this blog about the place which inspires you to paint. The post should be between 350 and 1,000 words and should include a couple of good quality web ready images.
Locations - UK
- Turner's Sketchbooks: 1790s
- Flatford Mill and the River Stour: Visiting Constable Country (Essex/Suffolk borders)
- Places to Paint - Marine Scenes
- Places to Paint: Adebanji Alade's Bath Painting Marathon
- Places to paint: Paul Nash and the Wittenham Clumps
- Places to Paint: David Hockney and East Yorkshire and Hockney: 51 iPad drawings on paper - Winter to Spring in Woldgate
- Pembrokeshire: Graham Brace - Environmental Inspiration
- Marina Grande, Capri: Singer Sargent: Where's the place in this painting?
- Antibes: 40 Antibes landscapes in 4 months by Claude Monet
- Moret-sur-Loing: The landscape you love (Alfred Sisley)
- The Rocky Mountains: Places to Paint: Charlene Brown's Rockies
- Fair Oaks Farm in Evinston Florida: Places to Paint: Linda Blondheim in Florida
- Cundy's Harbour and other locations in Maine: Places to Paint - Maine
- Northern New Mexico: Georgia O'Keeffe's landscapes of northern New Mexico
Locations - Asia