|The Frozen Pool, March (1909) by Willard Metcalf|
66.04 x 73.66 cm
|Brook in March (1923) by Willard Metcalf|
Facts about Willard Metcalf
- Willard Metcalf studied art at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and the Académie Julian, Paris.
- Metcalf was the first American painter to visit and paint at Giverny
- He's regarded as a painter within the American Impressionism movement
- He was one of the Ten American Painters who in 1897 seceded from the Society of American Artists - known as "The Ten"
- In 1893 he became a member of the American Watercolor Society, New York.
- He taught at the Art Students League, New York.
- He was involved with the artists' colony at Old Lyme, Connecticut.
The Spring Landscape series will continue next week with paintings of April. Do send your recommendations to me by leaving a comment on this blog.